Uttrakhand is the god gifted place which is popular for its natural beauty and holy places. The Valley of Flowers is a hidden beauty of the state of Uttarakhand.
Nestled in the Chamoli district of Uttarakhand, the Valley of Flowers is a perfect hideout into the mountains with the most captivating views of thousands of rare species of flowers. This valley is perched at a height of 3352m to 3658m above sea level.
How to reach?
The journey to the Valley of Flowers starts from Ghangaria village which is few miles away from Govindghat which is 20 km away from Joshimath. To reach Joshimath or Govind Ghat you need to get to reach Dehradun, which is well connected with all the major cities of India via air, rail and road.
The highlights of Valley of Flowers:
Valley of Flowers is a great place to visit. The place attracts thousands of tourists all across the globe every single year. Apart from visiting the valley of flowers, you can explore these nearby places –
- Hemkund Sahib: It is the nearest and another great destination. You can get to Hemkund Sahib by doing a trek. This kund is the sacred spot and it is a Sikh pilgrim site near an alpine crystal clear lake Hem Kund. Every month thousands of pilgrims visit Hemkund Sahib Gurudwara. The starting point of the trek is Ghangaria village.
- Rishikesh: One of the most preferred destinations in the state of Uttarakhand, Rishikesh is known as the Yoga capital of India.
- Joshimath: This religious town with so many temples and ashrams also serves as a base camp to so many treks and pilgrim sites.
- Panch Prayag- Panch Prayag- Vishnuprayag, Nandaprayag, Karnaprayag, Rudraprayag, and Devprayag are the five confluences of rivers in the Himalayas. These can be seen on the way to Joshimath to Haridwar.
- Haridwar: Uttarakhand is known as Devbhoomi because the state has several pilgrimage destinations. One of them is Haridwar. Haridwar is a religious place to visit and spend some quality time near the Ganga ghat, where you can spend some time and take a dip into the cold water of the Ganges.
The route to the valley of flowers is well defined and pretty one. The entire place is covered with colorful flowers, giving you the inner peace that you seek for. Here are pointed few things that you need to keep in mind if you are planning to visit the valley of flowers-
- Be mentally and physically strong. Be motivated and confident throughout the trek. This trek is a test of your mental and physical strength.
- It is good to be prepared. Take all the essential and necessary things with you.
- Do not make fun of the local people and their lifestyle.
- Be smart and do not compromise. Choose a good tour operator that offers amazing services and helps you to make your trip a memorable one.
- The Valley of Flowers is a moderate and long trek. It is advisable to carry minimum weight during the trek so that you can enjoy the beauty of the valley. Do not carry expensive gadgets and pieces of jewelry.
- Avoid smoking and drinking. It is advisable to stay healthy and strong for this trek. The trek will test your endurance level. Keep yourself hydrated throughout the journey.
- Always carry a water bottle and some handy snacks in your rucksack.
- The Valley of Flowers trek is advised to do with a certified trek leader. Do not wander off on your own.
- Remember Acute Mountain Sickness is very common so, be prepared for that and take medicines with you. Consult your physician before you do this trek and take the medicines accordingly.
Things to carry:
The Valley of Flowers is a hidden beauty of the state of Uttarakhand. The valley is a wonderful trek that will offer amazing beauty of nature and the mighty Himalayas. Plan a week-long holiday and do this alluring adventure. The way to the top of the valley goes through lush green landscapes and meadows, wide variety of flora and fauna, enchanting water streams and rivers, glaciers and dense forests of pine and green oaks. The floral carpeted terrains and lush meadows will refresh your mind & soul.
The trek to the Valley of Flowers is of moderate difficulty. If you plan to go there, you can not just grab your bag and leave. You should be prepared with all the necessary and essential things.
- Sports shoes/ trekking shoes and sneakers- as an extra
- Backpack or rucksack, Backpack cover and raincoat
- Woolen clothes, thermal inner wear and thermal pants
- Down jacket and fleece jacket
- Extra pair of socks and waterproof gloves
- A medical kit including pain reliever and water purification tablets
- Trekking pole- must bring
- Snacks and energy bars, protein bars, etc.
- Water bottle (2 to 3 litres)
- Swiss knife- a multi purpose tool set
- Torch or flashlight with extra batteries
- Hand sanitizer and body wipes- as showers are limited
- Trek pants or trousers
- Cap or hat and monkey cap
- Sunscreen, lip balm, and sunglasses
- Trek route or map
- Power bank and portable charger
- Camera- to capture the beauty of the place
- Cash- as you may not find any ATM machines nearby