If you want to get some perfect cookies it is important that you keep in mind these tips and tricks so that the mass of the cookies is perfect and we obtain a more than remarkable result with our cookies. We also explain how to keep the cookies so they stay fresh for as long as possible.
When it comes to traditional cookies, the appearance is not as important as when we talk about cookies to decorate . When we decorate biscuits with real icing or with fondant, we look for the cookies to be as flat as possible, without bubbles and without reliefs; and this is not achieved in any way, we must take into account a series of premises that I will detail below.
A factor to take into account when making our cookies is, like everything in the kitchen, a good raw material. Both the ingredients and the material must always be of quality. This does not mean that they should be more expensive, we should not confuse quality with price, but we should always choose fresh ingredients. As for the material, it is worth investing in some products made specifically for making cookies. Baked Comfort Food will explain what are the tricks and tips so that you are always perfect .
HOW TO MAKE COOKIES
How do I know that the cookie dough is already kneaded? If you knead with your hands you will know that the dough is ready when it stops sticking to your fingers. If you mix with a food processor you will know that your dough is ready when it starts to take off from the sides of the bowl and starts to form a ball around the beater.
- The best way to stretch the dough is on a fiberglass mat or in your defender on baking paper. We will also put another baking paper on top of the dough to prevent it from sticking to the rolling pin.
- So that the dough is uniform and of the same thickness in all its surface, we will have to use a roller of measures or a normal roller combined with some slats or leveling boards .
- If the mass of the cookies is too hot (this usually happens in summer in hot weather or if we are people with very hot hands) it will cost more to stretch it, it is advisable to keep it for half an hour in the fridge before stretching it .
- To cut the cookies with the shape you want, it is much better to do it on the stretched and very cold dough, that is, when we stretch it we will place it on a cookie sheet that fits on our shelf in the fridge with the same fiberglass mat during at least two hours.
- For the shape to be perfect we will put the cutters in flour before cutting the dough . This will prevent that we remain traces of mass stuck to the cutter.
- If we want to pass the cut cookies to the baking tray, always with the fiberglass mat or with baking paper, we can use a spatula for cookies : it will make our work easier and prevent them from becoming deformed.
- When placing the cookies in the oven, the baking tray should be at room temperature and the oven preheated as indicated by the recipe, with heat up and down, never with a fan, so we will avoid that the dough takes air and bubbles appear.
- We must leave enough space between biscuit and cookie when putting them in the oven, we should think that they will always expand a little when baking.
HOW TO PRESERVED COOKIES
- The cookies are preserved for a couple of months although their flavor and texture change after the second week, which is why it is always recommended to consume them after two weeks of baking.
- You can keep them with baking paper between biscuit and cookie in an airtight container or in biscuit tins .
- Before storing them they must have cooled completely. We will always do it on a cooling rack , if on the contrary we keep them while still hot, they would be moist and soft and we could not decorate them afterwards, besides spoiling their texture.
- If you want, you can also freeze the baked cookies , they are perfectly preserved for three months in the freezer in an airtight container. To defrost you only have to leave them at room temperature, in half an hour they will be defrosted. If you hurry you can put them in the oven for 10 minutes at 160ºC.
Keep the cookies and avoid getting soft is usually a challenge, once you open the package is very common that these are soft and you end up pulling because nobody wants to eat, with the consequent loss of money that involves throwing food.