Uttarakhand is a beautiful hill area situated in the Himalayan valley. It is very rich place in terms of culture, nature and foods. Uttarakhand Hills Dal is one of the delicious dishes of this area which is easy to cook.
Ingredients for cooking Uttarakhand Hills Dal Dish
1 cup whole lentils, washed and soaked in 5 cups water
Green or Red Chilies according to taste
Salt according to taste
1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
3 teaspoon mustard seeds
3/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
12 cloves garlic
2 teaspoons oil
Two sliced onions
2 chopped tomatoes
2 tablespoon tamarind, soaked in 1/2 cup water
3/2 teaspoons fresh chopped coriander
Appliances for cooking Uttarakhand Hills Dal
Juicer Mixer Grinder
Method for cooking Uttarakhand Hills Dal dish
* Pressure cooks the dal with the water, salt, chilies and turmeric well mixed in it. It took nearly 12-15 minutes for pressure cooker to boil.
* Meanwhile grind together the mustard seeds, cumin seeds, garlic into a paste merged with few teaspoons water.
* Heat the oil. Fry the sliced onions till they are golden brown. Now add the paste and fry a few more seconds, rousing constantly.
* Add the tomatoes. Fry till the fat separates.
* Strain the tamarind water and push through a strainer as much of the pulp as you can. Discard the seeds. Add the tamarind to the pan. Let it come to a boil. Simmer a few minutes before turning into the dal. Stir it well. Now the dish is ready to eat.